Signs, Symptoms, and Causes of Miscarriage at 4 Weeks

A pregnancy is one of the most wonderful experiences in a woman's life and the knowledge of a miscarriage can be devastating. Approximately 20 percent pregnancies end in miscarriages and they usually occur before 20 weeks of gestation. A miscarriage may occur even before the expectant mother misses a period or realizes that her period is not on schedule. Many a times, when the miscarriage occurs in the initial weeks of pregnancy, the mother does not even realize it as, in most cases; she herself is unaware of the pregnancy. A heavy period with the passage of dark blood clots accompanied with cramps ...

read more...

Related Articles
Miscarriage In 14th Week
Continued...

... or abdominal pain is usually an indicator of an early miscarriage. However, it is very common for a woman to pass it off as an irregular period and carry on with normal life.

Causes, Symptoms of Miscarriage at 4 Weeks

There are numerous causes for a miscarriage. A spontaneous abortion at 4 weeks into pregnancy usually indicates that the fertilized egg was unable to implant itself securely on the uterine wall. A damaged embryo is also unable to develop into a healthy baby and is usually eliminated by the body. Genetic malformation is another extremely common cause for miscarriage at 4 weeks. The human body works in a mysterious manner. When it realizes that the baby is not growing as it should or finds genetic abnormalities, it terminates the pregnancy on its own. In rare cases, the pregnancy progresses with the identification of deformities later in the pregnancy or at birth. Pregnancy loss at 4 weeks pregnant could also be caused by unhealthy eating habits, overexertion and hormonal imbalance. If the expectant mother suffers from conditions like stress, diabetes, hypertension, thyroid problems, polycystic ovary syndrome or an autoimmune disease, the risk of miscarriage at 4 weeks increases. The inability of the uterus to accommodate the growing baby or unhealthy conditions within the uterus may also lead to a miscarriage. Unhealthy habits like smoking, drug abuse and alcohol intake can further increase the chances of miscarriage at 4 weeks. Obesity, stress and physical trauma are other factors that could result in early miscarriages. When planning a pregnancy, ensuring that both partners are healthy will help in minimizing the risk of miscarriages. A healthy, balanced diet ensures that the mother-to-be gets sufficient nutrition to ensure the well being of the baby. Regular, non-strenuous exercises like a walk or swim daily and a fair share of rest further increases the chances of a healthy pregnancy. Abstaining from caffeine, recreational drugs and alcohol will also prove beneficial to the developing baby and mother alike.

Miscarriage is usually defined as a loss of pregnancy due to natural causes. This is usually common in the first 20 weeks and most often it happens even before the woman realizes that she is pregnant. 90 percent of the miscarriages occur because the fetus doesn't develop fully. It is a natural thing and in most cases it is unavoidable. Some of the most obvious symptoms of miscarriage at 4 weeks are vaginal spotting or bleeding. This is one of the first and common signs of fetus loss at 4 weeks along with this one might also experience a sharp pain in the lower abdomen and you might also notice a colorless fluid or tissue passing through the vagina without any kind of pain. Sometimes you might also complain of itchy breasts which is also a mild symptom of vaginal spotting. Though itchy breasts after breastfeeding is a common thing, itchy breasts causes during pregnancy can be due to some kind of a bacterial infection or even due to the hormonal changes that take place in your body from the time that you get pregnant. But in any case if you find that your breasts have become itchy then it is best to be careful and watch out for any kind of other 4 week miscarriage symptoms In case of any of these symptoms you should approach your doctor for a check up and find out the condition of your pregnancy. Doctors believe that miscarriage at 4 weeks is common in nearly 20 percent of the women. This is mainly because most of the time initially it takes some time to find out about your pregnancy and risk of miscarriage at 4- 7 weeks pregnant is high. Some of the main causes of miscarriage at 4 weeks is because the fetus doesn't develop normally in the first few weeks because of abnormal growth of genes or chromosomes. This usually happens when the embryo grows and divides. It can also be caused if sometimes the fertilized egg develops a placenta and membrane without an embryo, it is called a case of a blighted ovum. Sometimes genetic abnormalities within the embryo may also lead to a miscarriage by 4 weeks.

One every rare case of a miscarriage could be if the placenta develops into a cyst in the uterus itself and causes the embryo to stop developing. Other than these causes, the condition of the expectant mother also plays a very important role to make sure that the development of the fetus happens in the right way without any kind of problems. In a mother uncontrolled diabetes or thyroid disease may lead to an early miscarriage of 4 weeks. Instances of bacterial and viral infection may cause weakness in the body that may lead to a miscarriage. Other causes can also be hormonal or uterus problems. If you have had such a history of problems earlier then it is best to be even more careful when you find out about your pregnancy. Sometimes the age of the mother also plays a role in miscarriages. Doctors believe that women above the age of 35-37 are far more likely to miscarry than in cases of younger woman due to the changes that take place in your body after the age of 30. Thus it is believed that after the age of 35 there is a 20% chance of a miscarriage in the first 4 weeks whereas after the age of 40 the chances of miscarriage rise up to 80%. If a woman has had miscarriages earlier then the chance of miscarriage 4 weeks pregnant can happen with a 20% chance of it happening. Another reason for miscarriages can be if the woman has a history of being an alcoholic or a chain smoker. These abuses are said to deteriorate the body at a much higher rate than normal and therefore can be the cause of early miscarriages. Other than this other drug abuse can also be a cause not only for miscarriages but also in some cases the reasons for infertility. Some prenatal genetic tests like chorionic villus sampling are said to carry a slight chance of miscarriage. There are some common misconceptions that miscarriages can occur due to exercise or too much of lifting or some physical activity or even having sex. But this is not true and these cases do not cause miscarriages. The loss of pregnancies in the early stages like in the first 7 weeks can be very traumatic and even cause the expectant mother to go into depression; postpartum headaches and dizziness becomes a common feature.

Postpartum headaches treatment lies in getting enough rest and making sure that you eat a proper balanced diet. Sometimes miscarriages at 4 weeks can make you feel very lethargic and want to stay in bed without wanting to indulge in any kind of physical activity. Most of these are due to the emotional upheavals that you would have faced in the past weeks. During the first few weeks of finding out that you are pregnant it is best to be aware of these signs of miscarriage especially in the first 4 to 7 weeks to be on the safe side. If you get the slightest pains in your lower abdomen or back make sure that you should make an appointment with your doctor. Some bleeding is normal but in cases of excessive bleeding or too much spotting you should make an appointment with your doctor. Abstaining from alcohol and smoking till much after the baby is born would be beneficial to your health and that of the baby even when he is growing within you. Doctors say that miscarriages cannot be avoided and therefore it is best to take all the necessary precautions like enough rest and maintaining a proper diet so that you will not give into chance and even if you do face a miscarriage then you can always try again. Make sure you consult your doctor to find you a psychologist who will be able guide you through the emotional trauma and prepare you for your journey to become parents again.

ADVERTISEMENT
Miscarriage After Miscarriage
Miscarriage at 4 Weeks
ADVERTISEMENT
Sitemap
Pregnancy-Baby-Care © Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved. Terms and Conditions for Usage of this Site
www.pregnancy-baby-care.com does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
See additional information.