Causes of Dandruff In Toddlers And Remedy
Toddler dandruff can affect the confidence of the child. Certain conditions that indicate discomfort such as toddler dry scalp, toddler flaky scalp and toddler itchy scalp may be due to dandruff. Dandruff is considered to be uncommon among young toddlers and is likely to show up only during puberty or teenage years. Dandruff also declines with age and rarely affects older people. Dandruff is mainly caused due to a fungus known as malassezia. This fungus triggers excessive shedding of the skin cells on the scalp leading to white or grey flakes that spread around the toddler's hair. The fungus can also cause the scalp to turn dry and itchy. Therefore, though dandruff is not contagious in nature ...
Pregnancy And Baby Care Questions
it may cause discomfort to the person having dandruff.
Reasons for Dandruff in Toddlers
As toddlers are not likely to be affected by dandruff it would be wise to assess the possibility of other scalp problems that may be causing similar symptoms. Some possible conditions are:
- Sunburn: Sunburn may also cause dry scalp and peeling scalp. This may appear like dandruff but will heal on its own. It is advisable to wear a head gear so that the toddler can avoid the discomfort associated with such scalp problems.
- Hair Care: Excessive use of shampoo products can also ruin the texture of hair and scalp. Shampoos can also dry the scalp and cause flaky scalp conditions. Using too much shampoo and following it with a minimal rinse can also result in dried shampoo falling off the hair as white flakes. This may appear like dandruff but is actually an outcome of improper hair washing.
- Skin Disorders: Certain skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and seborrhic dermatitis can also affect the scalp and cause scaling or flaking of the scalp. Ringworm of the scalp also causes irritation and hair loss. Ringworm affected scalp have ring like patterns. Ringworm affected scalp require medical attention.
Treatment for Dandruff in Toddlers
- Toddler dandruff or dandruff possibility can be treated with simple means such as:
- Wearing appropriate head gear while going out to avoid the harsh ultra violet rays.
- Shampooing and rinsing properly
- Incase of dandruff, oil and shampoo hair with a mild shampoo regularly
- Avoid greasy gels, oils, mousse and hair styling products that can tamper with the natural balance of your hair and scalp. Harsh chemicals present in such products can affect the health of the scalp and hair resulting in dandruff.