5 Month Baby Milestones
Submitted by Pregnancy and Baby Care team on January 16, 2012
The term "baby milestones" refers to the various punctuations and achievements that mark a baby's growth and development. They are events or acts that usually signify the completion of a certain age by the baby. Right from the time that the baby is a couple of weeks old, there are certain milestones that the baby starts achieving, with the first few months being characterized by rapid growth. Baby milestones are developmental guidelines that reveal the extent of growth a baby has the ability to accomplish. There are different milestones that babies achieve in each month and 5 month baby milestones are different for each child.
Pregnancy And Baby Care Questions
During the fifth month, most babies become very active, more so than before. Your child may be able to push up and move about a bit on his own and this is one of the important 5 month baby milestones. Don't be surprised if your baby ignores all the expensive and branded toys you have invested in and prefers to play with his toes instead.
If your child reaches out and puts everything he can grab a hold of in his mouth, he is acting just like all other normal five-month olds do and this can be considered to be one of the common 5 month baby milestones. If your baby spends a lot of time lying on his stomach, he will now learn that he can crane his neck up to observe everything that is going on around him. His growing curiosity makes him want to see everything that is happening in the world.
Some of the most common 5 month baby milestones. are:
- The ability to reach out for an object, with accuracy, and paying attention to objects that are very small
- Holding the head steady, while sitting upright, and being able to raise the chest using the support of the arms, while lying on the stomach
- Squealing with delight, to express joy and happiness or smiling spontaneously
- Rolling over in one direction
- Mimicking sounds and gestures made by other people and turning towards the source of a sound or a voice. Even capable of making sounds other than crying, to express different needs
- Being able to grasp a rattle and make noises with it
While the 5 month baby milestones mentioned above are some of the most common ones, is it important to remember that every baby is unique and will probably meet each milestone, at their own pace. If a baby was born prematurely, it is quite natural for him to take a little longer to meet these milestones. In case you have any questions about your child's growth or development, you should get in touch with a doctor.
Read more articles from the Baby Growth Category.