Severe Headaches During Pregnancy
Submitted by Nick on January 19, 2012
When you find out that you are finally pregnant, you may be so overwhelmed and excited that all thoughts of uncomfortable pregnancy symptoms will be far from your mind. While pregnancy is indeed a very exciting and incredibly joyous period, you need to treat and prevent pregnancy symptoms as far as possible so that you can fully enjoy your pregnancy. You need to accept that this period will be characterized by numerous physical, physiological, and psychological changes.
Some of the early symptoms of pregnancy...
Pregnancy And Baby Care Questions
...are nausea, vomiting, fatigue, morning sickness, craving specific foods, feelings of heaviness in the stomach, and sometimes, headaches. You may experience severe headaches during pregnancy, especially in the first and third trimester. If you suffer from migraines, you may find that their intensity and frequency may increase during pregnancy. Other than migraine, if you are wondering what causes severe headaches during pregnancy, given below is a list of some of the other causes:
- The prime cause of severe headaches and dizziness during pregnancy is a surge in the level of estrogen and progesterone levels, especially during the first trimester.
- Poor body posture may lead to chronic headaches during pregnancy.
- In the third trimester, the blood volume circulating in the body increases, which, in turn, causes tension, thereby resulting in severe headaches and dizziness.
- Other causes of headache in pregnancy are stress, a high caffeine intake, dehydration, low blood sugar, improper diet, and lack of sleep among others.
A fact that is noteworthy is that severe headaches during pregnancy in the second trimester are uncommon. Headaches are more common in the first trimester because of the increase in hormone concentration and they are common in the third trimester because of the increase in blood pressure, owing to the increase in blood volume. If you are looking for ways to cure headaches during pregnancy, you may consider following these simple steps.
- First and foremost, you must consume a balanced diet with all the nutrients in appropriate amounts. You must eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, milk and milk products, whole grain cereals, and pulses to ensure that your diet is well balanced. As dehydration is one of the causes of headache in pregnancy, you must consume a sufficient amount of water. You may also consume water-rich fruits like watermelon, apples, and pears.
- You must seek your doctor’s advice on proper body posture during pregnancy.
- You must try to avoid stress and tension. A regular fitness regime such as yoga or walking would relieve stress and headaches in pregnancy.
- You can also apply cold packs on your head to relieve headaches.
- You may also resort to aromatherapy to cure headaches during pregnancy. The usage of lavender oil is recommended to elevate mood and inculcate the feeling of wellbeing. However, it is important to consult an aroma-therapist as well as your doctor as certain essential oils can be harmful when used during pregnancy.
- If you are suffering from severe sinus headaches during pregnancy, you must consult your doctor and take the prescribed treatment. You must not take medications and any other therapy/treatment without your doctor’s consent when you are pregnant.
Read more articles from the Pregnancy Week By Week Category.