Toddler Cough Remedies
Submitted by Nic on January 18, 2012
Cough or pertussis is the repetitive reflex that clears the breathing passages of irritants, secretions, microbes, and foreign particles. There is forced exhalation of air from the lungs through the glottis with distinct sound when one coughs. Cough in toddlers can be wearisome as coughing continuously can make them fatigued with a sore throat and fever. Toddler cough is caused by allergies, acid reflux, and asthma in most cases. The major symptoms for a chronic cough could be that your toddler is coughing more at night; chronic cough does not bring up phlegm and takes about eight weeks to alleviate. There are toddler cough remedies that...
Pregnancy And Baby Care Questions
...can help clear the cough and any phlegm collected in the air passage; however, while home remedies for a toddler cough are safe as they do not affect the child in adverse ways, you must always consult a pediatrician first before opting for home remedies.
- One of the more popular toddler cough remedies involves the use of lemon and honey. Mix lemon juice from half a lemon, one teaspoon honey, and warm water. Honey is not recommended for children below one year. This can be given many times during the day. Lemon juice with warm water is excellent for toddler cough relief.
- For toddler cough treatment, use a humidifier in the room to clear the nasal passage. You can add few drops of eucalyptus oil in the humidifier. You can also sprinkle few drops on the pillows that the toddler uses. Remove containers that may contain chemicals like washing liquids and room sprays with pungent and strong odors.
- Massaging cold rub or balm on the chest, throat, behind the ears and under feet is an also effective home remedy for toddler cough.
- Basil leaves tea mixed with honey is powerful natural remedy for toddler cough. Few peppercorns can also be boiled with basil leaves.
- Boil one teaspoon of cumin seeds, few peppercorns, garlic flakes with two glasses of water, allow it simmer. Cool and strain the liquid and mix honey and give the child as home remedy for toddler cough.
- To make things easier for the toddler, keep the toddler’s head propped with pillows. This helps to breathe better, if the child has asthma. Use antibiotics on prescription if cough is due to allergy.
- For toddler cough treatment give plenty of fluids like lemon juice or chicken or vegetable soups to keep them healthy and strong and to clear cough.
Read more articles from the Toddler Illness Category.