Positive Ways to Discipline Preschoolers
Preschoolers are adorable to have around; however, at the same time it is quite challenging for parents to groom them. Parents always want their children to be well behaved, responsible, and caring, but preschoolers are often very energetic and sometimes seem a little unconcerned with others&' feelings. It is quite natural for preschoolers to behave in this way as the world is altogether a different place for them. The energy levels in preschoolers are very high; they play hard, love to feel independent, and are inquisitive and bossy. Positive discipline and guidance plays a vital role in helping preschoolers connect with others. A good sense of connectivity to the community, family, and school will ...
Pregnancy And Baby Care Questions
... help preschoolers grow up well. Positive discipline teaches preschoolers about life skills and the art of connectivity. It helps in boosting the morale of preschoolers so that they can positively accept failures and know how to react to failures. Positive discipline inculcates good virtues which makes preschoolers firm and kind. Preschoolers with positive discipline do well in academics and stay away from the risky behavior such as drug addiction or violence.
How to Discipline Preschoolers
- One of the most important steps is to create a safe environment for preschoolers in areas where they play and study. You must not allow them to play with dangerous instruments such as knives and garage tools. Before leaving your home, make sure to keep appropriate toys for preschoolers so that they keep themselves engaged in appealing activities and stay safe.
- Preschoolers get distracted very easily and cannot make up their minds on anything. So, it is always preferable to set a routine for them. You must have a good understanding about their eating, sleeping, and playing habits. A healthy diet and proper sleep will keep them active and cheerful.
- Preschoolers are curious to know what is happening around them; this can make them pick up some bad habits from watching their parents. You must always make sure to avoid smoking, drinking alcohol or other such habits in front of them. Also, watch your language, and try to avoid making negative remarks or resorting to criticism.
- You must always listen to preschoolers carefully to make them feel important. Active listening will help to strengthen the connection between you and your child. You also need to understand and respond to all their questions.
- You must spend quality time playing with them, and keep a close watch on their behavior.
- You must set genuine punishments for them in case they commit mistakes and also explain to them future consequences. This will keep them from making the same mistakes again. Avoid physical punishment as it can cause mental harm to your child.
- You must reward them for good behavior, and always pay attention to what they say. They are quick learners; so, choose the right words when explaining something to them.
- You must allow them to take their own decisions at those times when you feel that your interference makes them angry or annoys them.
- Their natural instincts may lead them to misbehave sometimes. They need your attention and proper care to help them judge right from wrong.