Health Benefits of Coconut for Pregnant Women
Submitted by Nick on June 28, 2012
The cooling water found within the shell of the coconut has been used to treat a variety of health problems for centuries. It is often recommended as a natural remedy for the old and infirmed. It is one of the best natural ways to replenish the supply of electrolytes in your body and prevent dehydration and acidity. With such wide-ranging benefits, it is no wonder that having coconut water during pregnancy is encouraged.
Pregnancy And Baby Care Questions
The top 10 health benefits of coconut during pregnancy include:
- Coconut water is a delicious low-calorie drink that is packed with electrolytes such as potassium, magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus, other enzymes, and healthy amino acids. It is often marketed as a sports drink for its ability to hydrate the body after exercise or any illness. Dehydration and exhaustion are common complaints during a pregnancy and coconut water offers the ideal natural solution.
- Coconut water is naturally sterile and is especially good for pregnant women as it helps improve the immunity and health of both mother and baby. It is believed that coconut water has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties that help prevent infections and illnesses during a pregnancy.
- Coconut water is a zero cholesterol drink. In fact, drinking coconut water regularly may even increase the levels of HDL or good cholesterol in the body. During a pregnancy, coconut water can help keep cholesterol levels in check.
- Most pregnant women suffer from acidity and heartburn. Drugs and medication is rarely recommended to treat these problems so coconut water is the best natural remedy available.
- Coconut water can help clear the digestive tract and prevent constipation as well.
- Since coconut water is a natural diuretic, it is often used to treat urinary tract infections in pregnant women. Drinking coconut water will increase the flow of urine and rid the body of the infection naturally.
- Some studies have reported that drinking coconut water may help in regulating high blood pressure. However, more conclusive evidence is still required before any definite claims can be made.
- Coconut water is a great source of vitamin C and fiber. This can help improve blood circulation and is especially useful for pregnant women.
- Coconut water may help boost the levels of amniotic fluid and in turn improve the overall health of the fetus.
- Coconut water contains lauric acid that stimulates the thyroid and improves metabolism. This results in a boost in energy levels as well.
As with any new routine during a pregnancy, it would be best to check with your doctor before you add coconut water to your daily diet. While there are no evident side effects from drinking coconut water, it is always better to be cautious when trying anything new.
Read more articles from the Pregnancy Diet Category.